These Gluten Free Fish Taco wraps are simply DIVINE!
They are also quick, simple, and nutritious!
They can even be healthier simply by roasting the spiced fish filets instead of frying them. We have done both but sometimes we just can’t help ourselves, and enjoy a good fried fish filet!
Also, if you would rather substitute the lettuce wrap with a gluten free wrap, there are some great ones out there now!
Other notes: We at Vee Culinary use Chef Vedam’s proprietary blend of Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend (we will be selling it soon); however, in the mean time, Chef Vedam likes either Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour or either King Arthur’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour or King Arthur’s Measure for Measure. Secondly, we list Old Bay Seasoning as one of the spices; however, we will also be selling ours very soon, along with Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Seasoning Blend. And last but not least, we list Cod as the fish; however, if you have a favorite fish, we recommend you use that in place of the cod.
And, now onto the recipe… and remember, there is a printable version at the bottom of this post!
Gluten Free Fish Taco Wraps
Gluten Free Fish Fry Batter
3/4 cup Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
1 Egg (beaten)
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 cup of your favorite Gluten Free Beer (I use Anheuser-Busch’s Red Bridge)
4 Cod Filets
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Coriander
1/4 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
Your favorite Salsa
1 14 oz can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
1/2 Onion diced (optional)
Lettuce (I prefer Boston Bibb)
Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
Oil for frying (I prefer a Blended Oil)
- Prepare fish fry batter: In a medium size bowl, sift together Gluten Free Flour Blend and baking powder. Add black pepper, salt, Old Bay Seasoning and the Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Seasoning Blend. Stir in beaten egg. Slowly add beer to mixture and stir until mixture is creamy and lump free. Set aside.
- Cut cod filets into strips and spice with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, Old Bay and Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Seasoning Blend. Place seasoned cod filet strips into fish fry batter and set aside.
- Empty black beans into a drainer and rinse beans. Set aside.
- Dice tomato.
- Rinse lettuce leaves and set aside.
- Pour oil into a deep frying pan, dutch oven or deep fryer and heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Carefully drop seasoned cod fillet strips into hot oil and fry until golden brown. You may want to do this in 2 – 3 rounds so as to not crowd the fish filets while frying. Usually this takes about 5 – 6 minutes for each batch (depending on the size of your fish filets). Remove cod filets from oil and drain onto paper towel. Continue until all filets are fried.
- Create fish taco wraps. Starting with dry lettuce leaf, add fried fish filets. Top with diced tomato, sour cream, black beans, diced onion, salsa and shredded cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!