At Vee Culinary, gluten free barbecue ribs are one of our favorite summertime dishes. We are always looking for different ways to prepare them, and we love testing out new flavor combinations.
Barbecue sauces and spices found in grocery stores aren’t typically gluten-free, so we make our own. (Problem solved!) You can also find a traditional barbecue sauce in Chef Vedam’s cookbook: “Vedam’s Gluten Free & Fabulous! Recipes From A Southern Gay Househusband.” This classic recipe features brown sugar and molasses for sweetness and vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and sriracha for tang and heat.
While we adore a traditional sauce, this recipe features a drool-worthy island flair. The onions, red and orange bell peppers, garlic, mango, and coconut palm sugar meld together to create an other-worldly tropical taste.
The recipe calls for pork country-style ribs, but this barbecue recipe would work beautifully with chicken, beef, fish, or shrimp as well.
Gluten Free Barbecue Ribs - Island Style
- 1/2 - 1 lb. of Pork Ribs per person
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Seasoning Blend
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper or both if you like
- 1 Mango peeled, sliced and cubed
- 1 -2 tbsp Coconut or Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1" Fresh Ginger or more, grated or minced, depending on your taste level (or you could use 1 tsp. of Ground Ginger
- 1 heaping tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar or may substitute brown sugar
- 1 cup Mango Nectar
- Liberally spice all sides of meat with salt, pepper, Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Seasoning Blend, and set aside.
- Slice and dice onion.
- Remove seeds from peppers. Slice and dice peppers, add to onions and set aside.
- Slice mango, remove the skin, and dice mango; set aside separately from onions and peppers.
- Place skillet onto stove burner on high heat, and get skillet scalding hot. (We recommend a large cast-iron skillet.) Add oil to skillet, and reduce heat to medium-high.
- Pan sear all sides of seasoned pork until there is a nice char on all sides of meat; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat on skillet to medium-low, add more oil if needed, and begin to saute the onions and peppers with a dash more salt for 5 - 6 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add salt, pepper, Chef Vedam's Gluten Free All-Purpose Seasoning Blend, cumin, coriander, ginger, minced garlic, coconut palm sugar, diced mango, and mango nectar to skillet, and stir to blend.
- Add seared pork back to pan, cover, and allow to simmer until pork has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Remove everything from the heat, remove the ribs from the sauce, and allow to rest 10 - 15 minutes. When ready to serve, plate, add more sauce, and ENJOY!