Looking for something delicious, decedent, and exciting to serve for a Sunday breakfast or weekend brunch? This dreamy and rich recipe is for you!
I have recently discovered how delicious the combination of cornbread and blueberries is, and that got me thinking; there are nowhere near enough recipes featuring both ingredients. So, what’s a gluten free and fabulous chef to do? Make one himself!
I decided to take my gluten free waffle recipe and combine it with my gluten free blueberry cornbread cobbler with sweet buttermilk custard sauce, and thus, my gluten free blueberry Belgian cornbread waffles with buttermilk cream sauce recipe was born.
This brunch idea will certainly be a huge hit with your family, just like it is with mine!
Gluten Free Blueberry Belgian Cornbread Waffle with Sweet Buttermilk Cream Sauce
- Belgian waffle iron
For the Sauce
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Waffles
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tarter
- 1 cup Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 cup Gluten Free Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 stick Butter (plus more for buttering cooked waffle)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 pint Blueberries (rinsed, and divided in half)
- 1 tbsp Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Rinse the blueberries, and divide them into two different bowls. In one bowl, sprinkle the berries with Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend and sugar. Gently stir the berries to coat, but be careful not to burst the berries. Set aside. You will be using the other bowl of blueberries for garnish at the end.
- Begin making the buttermilk cream sauce. Using a double boiler, add the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and whisk to blend. Add the buttermilk and vanilla, and whisk to blend.
- Begin to cook in the double boiler, on medium heat, stirring or whisking frequently. When the steam from the double boiler begins to escape and the mixture is beginning to steam, whisk constantly for a total of 2 minutes. The sauce will thicken.
- When the sauce is done cooking, pour into a bowl. Cover and touch the sauce with plastic wrap (to avoid getting a skin on the sauce), wrapping the bowl to seal. Place into the fridge until ready to serve.
- To begin making the waffles, divide the egg yolks and whites. Place the egg yolks into a large bowl and the egg whites into a bowl large enough to whip the egg whites into a meringue.
- Whip the egg whites in a bowl until peaks begin to form. As the peaks are forming, add the cream of tartar to the egg whites, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Once done, set aside.
- In a third bowl, whisk together Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Xanthan Gum.
- Beat the egg yolks. Add the buttermilk and melted butter together and add this to the yolks. Beat to incorporate.
- Mix the melted butter mixture into the dry ingredients, and once incorporated, fold the whipped egg whites gently into the mixture, in 3rds until completely mixed.
- On the last folding of the egg whites, also add the floured and sugared blueberries into the mixture.
- Preheat Belgian waffle iron, spray with non-stick spray, and once heated, add 1 cup of waffle mixture to waffle iron, and cook until golden brown.
- Continue with this method until all batter has been used.
- When ready to serve, place a small amount of the custard onto a serving plate and top with a waffle. Then put a dollop of custard on top, and garnish with the reserved blueberries.