Growing up, my family always had chickens, which we fried, baked, broiled, and roasted. Since then, I have loved making chicken, but I have to admit, my favorite kind of chicken is herb and lemon roasted chicken.
I happened to catch an episode of “Salt Fat Acid Heat” where they prepared buttermilk and salt-roasted chicken. I have to admit, when watching the show, I was a bit skeptical that a roasted chicken with only two ingredients (buttermilk and salt) would create a great recipe. Well, as a true skeptic would, I tested it and was blown away. It was exactly as they said, truly delicious and moist, and it is now my new favorite roasted chicken recipe (and easy to make, as long as you remember to soak your chicken in buttermilk).
Gluten Free Roasted Buttermilk Chicken with Fresh Herb & Lemon
- 1 Chicken 3 - 3.5 lbs
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Lemon sliced
- 1 Lemon Zest & Juice
- 1 tsp
Chef Vedam's Gluten Free All-Purpose Seasoning Blend
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Basil chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Oregano chopped
- 28 oz. Artichoke hearts drained
- 24 - 48 hours before cooking the chicken, spatchcock the chicken. (Cut out and remove the backbone of the chicken) and discard.
- Liberally spice the chicken with salt. Place the chicken into a gallon ziplock bag, and add the buttermilk. Seal the bag shut, and periodically shake and turn the chicken to ensure the buttermilk is covering all of the chicken.
- When you are ready to prepare the chicken, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Drain the buttermilk from the chicken and drain the liquid from the jar or can of artichokes.
- Slice one lemon, remove the seeds, and set the lemon aside.
- Zest another lemon into a small bowl, and add the juice of that lemon. Add Chef Vedam’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Seasoning Blend, pepper, parsley, chives, thyme, rosemary, basil, and oregano. Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a large baking sheet pan, and spray with non-stick spray.
- Place the drained artichoke hearts onto the parchment paper. Place a few lemon slices on the artichoke hearts (reserving a few slices for the top of the chicken); this will be the bed on which you roast the chicken.
- Rub the spice blend on the underside of the chicken, between the skin and the meat of the chicken, and the top of the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken onto the lemons and place a few slices of lemons onto the chicken.
- Place the sheet pan into the preheated oven. Set the timer for 15 minutes. After the time has elapsed, rotate the sheet pan in the opposite direction and set the timer for another 15 minutes.
- About every 10 - 15 minutes, keep checking your chicken. You want the internal temperature to reach 165 degrees. If the skin begins to brown too quickly, cover the chicken with foil until the temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- When the chicken reaches 165 degrees, allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 - 15 minutes before carving your chicken. When you are ready to serve, serve the chicken with the roasted artichokes.